If you plan to drink on Super Bowl Sunday, don’t forget to designate a sober driver.
That’s the advice of Sarasota County Sheriff Tom Knight, who has joined forces with the National Football League, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and other state and local highway safety and law enforcement agencies to remind everyone to act responsibly this weekend.
“Super Bowl Sunday is one of America’s biggest national sporting events as people gather to watch the big game,” Knight said. “Yet, it is also one of the nation’s most dangerous days on the roadways due to impaired driving.”
Hosting a Super Bowl party?
Knight offers these tips:
• Remember, hosts can be held liable and prosecuted if someone you served ends up in an impaired driving crash.
• Make sure guests designate sober drivers in advance, or help arrange ride-sharing with other sober drivers.
• Serve lots of food and offer lots of nonalcoholic beverages.
• Keep numbers for local cab companies handy, and take keys away from anyone who is thinking of driving impaired.
If you are attending a Super Bowl party:
• Avoid drinking too much alcohol too fast.
• If you drink too much, find a sober driver.
• Regardless of whether or not you drink, if you’re going to be on the road after the game, buckle up.