Saturday, April 14, 2012

From crime scenes to cookoffs

By Laura C. Morel
Crime/Immigration

From Tuesday through Friday, I'm the crime and immigration reporter for the Bradenton Herald.

But Saturday is my wildcard. I cover, well, everything else, including parades, festivals, fairs, rallies, contests, and the list goes on.

Food fests are also a big chunk of my Saturday coverage.

Today, I was the lucky reporter who covered the Gulf Coast Rhythm & Ribfest, which includes a barbecue ribs cookoff with both local and out-of-state cooks. I interviewed barbecue enthusiasts about their secrets to a good rib and a tasty sauce. Time and patience seemed to be key ingredients.

After two hours of interviews, I smelled like barbecue.

Earlier this month, I covered the annual Seafood Festival.

In late February, I covered the Cortez Commercial Fishing Festival. Food for sale included squid fries (delicious!) and smoked mullet.

And in the beginning of the year, I was among 12 teams of cooks who whispered to their team members so their opponents wouldn’t hear their beef brisket secrets.

The irony of it all? I can't even cook.
Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2012/01/15/3792538/secret-ingredients-serve-up-winners.html#storylink=misearch#storylink=cpy

No comments:

Post a Comment