Friday, March 16, 2012

Facts about Florida prisons

By Laura C. Morel
Crime/Immigration Reporter

While working on my story about Bradenton Bridge inmate Dianna Love, I conducted some research to learn more about Florida prisons.

I only used one statistic in my story, fearing I'd bog it down with numbers. But in case you're interested, here are some other stats that didn't make it into the story:
  • Eighty-eight percent of inmates will one day be released.
  • About 12,000 inmates will return to prison in three years.
  • About 66 percent of Florida inmates need substance abuse treatment.
  • Between 2007 and 2008, 82 percent of inmates were released without receiving any substance abuse treatment. 
  • Between 2007 and 2008, about 1,800 inmates received their GEDs.
For the full "Recidivism Reduction Strategic Plan" report, click here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment