Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Warehouse fire was false alarm

By Laura C. Morel
Crime/Immigration Reporter

Seconds after entering the newsroom today, editor Marc Masferrer sent me out to a warehouse fire in the 6400 block of 14th Street West.

I jumped back into my car and bolted to the scene, hoping to catch the battalion chief to fill me in on details.

When I arrived and speed-walked to where the firefighters were chatting, they all looked up and smiled.

It was a training exercise, they said.

At first, I thought they were pulling my tail. But it was true. Fifteen firefighters, from districts such as Cedar Hammock Fire Rescue, Southern Manatee Fire &; Rescue, and West Manatee Fire &; Rescue, were involved in the training exercise that began at 9 a.m. on Thursday.

"We do everything we normally do," said Battalion Chief and training officer Leigh T. Hollins.

And on Thursday, they'll be training at the warehouse again.

So if you live nearby the warehouse and see puffs of smoke, don't be alarmed. It's just a few firefighters learning the ropes.

No comments:

Post a Comment